Visualization with Power BI
There is no prerequisite for this course. However, it would be beneficial to watch the Power BI Essentials training video before this to have familiarity with some concepts.
Link to the agenda and sample videos from the course
Length: 5 Hours and 46 Minutes
Reza Rad is a Microsoft Regional Director, an Author, Trainer, Speaker and Consultant. He has a BSc in Computer engineering; he has more than 20 years’ experience in data analysis, BI, databases, programming, and development mostly on Microsoft technologies. He is a Microsoft Data Platform MVP for nine continuous years (from 2011 till now) for his dedication in Microsoft BI. Reza is an active blogger and co-founder of RADACAD. Reza is also co-founder and co-organizer of Difinity conference in New Zealand.
His articles on different aspects of technologies, especially on MS BI, can be found on his blog: https://radacad.com/blog.
He wrote some books on MS SQL BI and also is writing some others, He was also an active member on online technical forums such as MSDN and Experts-Exchange, and was a moderator of MSDN SQL Server forums, and is an MCP, MCSE, and MCITP of BI. He is the leader of the New Zealand Business Intelligence users group. He is also the author of very popular book Power BI from Rookie to Rock Star, which is free with more than 1700 pages of content and the Power BI Pro Architecture published by Apress.
He is an International Speaker in Microsoft Ignite, Microsoft Business Applications Summit, Data Insight Summit, PASS Summit, SQL Saturday and user groups. And He is a Microsoft Certified Trainer.
- Introduction to the Course
This is a short section covering What this course covers, why we need visualization, and what you will learn through this training.
- Introduction to the Course
- Importance of Visualization
- Visualization Basics
Visualization is an important part of any BI system. In Power BI, Visualization plays a critical part. In this section, you will learn about why visualization is important, with few basics of visualizations such as comparing stacked vs. clustered chart. You will also learn in this section about data exploration techniques such as drill down/up, using pages, etc.
- Creating Visualization in Power BI
- Fields Configuration for Visuals
- Fields Formatting in the Modelling
- Formatting Visuals Part 1 and 2
- Analytical Lines for Visuals
- Page Information and Configurations
- Q&A for Creating Visuals
- Data Exploration
The importance of slicing and dicing data in Power BI is critical. Power BI is not a visualization tool only, but it is also a data exploration tool. There are several ways you can filter the data. In this section, you will learn the difference between filters and slicers. You also learn about different scopes of filtering, as well as filtering modes. For slicers, you will learn different types of slicers and some advanced features such as syncing slicers through different pages.
- Drill Down and Up Part 1 and 2
- Filter Pane to Filter Data
- Filter Pane Configuration
- Drillthrough Filter: Creating Master-Details Scenario in Power BI
- Slicers Filtering Options for End Users
- Syncing Slicers Across Multiple Pages
- Advanced Visualization in Power BI
Now that you know about visualizations and slicing and dicing, it is a good time to talk about some advanced techniques which will take your visualizations to the next level in Power BI. You will learn about techniques such as changing the interaction of visuals, report page tooltips, Bookmarks and dynamic visualizations in this section.
- Report Page Tooltip
- Control the Interaction between Visuals
- Designing Reports for Phone View
- Grouping Data based on Text fields
- Binning based on DateTime or Numeric Fields
- Report Theme
- Bookmarks for Storytelling in Power BI
- Bookmarks, Buttons and Selection Pane; the Magic Triangle for Dynamic Visualization
- Best Practice Scenarios of Using Visuals
It is a good time to learn about all built-in visuals in Power BI now. It is important to know which visual should be used in what scenario. You will also learn in this section about the pros and cons of each visual. You will learn specific features of the visual that can help to solve real-world scenarios. All the examples will be hands-on.
- Column and Bar Charts; Category Analysis
- Line Chart; Trend Analysis
- Area Chart
- Line and Column Charts, Combo Charts; Different Scales in one graph
- Ribbon Chart; Ranking
- Waterfall Chart; Cashflow
- Scatter Chart; Storytelling with the data
- Grouping charts: Pie, Donut chart, and Treemap charts
- KPI visual and Gauge
- Grid Style Visualization and Conditional Formatting
Most of the visuals that you learned through the course are good for aggregated data. For reporting the details, most of the time, we use a grid style report using Table and Matrix visuals. In this section, you will learn about these two types of visuals, and also the conditional formatting that you can apply in these visuals, as well as other visuals in Power BI.
- Table Visual
- Conditional Formatting
- Matrix Visual
- Geo-Location Visualization: Map Visuals
In Power BI, there are multiple ways of visualizing items on the map. In this section, you will learn about all the built-in ways of using map visuals in Power BI, the pros, and cons of each method and special considerations for some of the visuals.
- Map Visual; Using Bing to find spots
- Map Visual; Using Latitude and Longitude
- Filled Map; Regions and Polygons
- Shape Map; Having custom map visual
- ArcGIS Map; Map visual which can do everything
- AI-Powered Visuals in Power BI
Power BI recently leverages a lot of powerful AI features to provide better analytics through specific visualizations. In this section, you will learn how to use those visuals with no code low code experience of using AI in Power BI visuals.
- Key Influencer Visual
- Custom Visuals
In addition to the built-in list of Power BI visuals, you can leverage some of the third party visuals created by other companies called Custom Visuals. Creating custom visuals is a developer topic, which we won’t discuss in this training, but you will learn about how to use custom visuals. You will learn about the most useful custom visuals in Power BI through many demos.
- Adding and using a custom visual
- Infographic Designer
- Tachometer Gauge
There are no reviews yet.